Dagon Primordial Couple
Wood, metal; H x W: 28 3/4 x 9 5/16in. (73 x 23.7cm)
The virtually identical forms of the male and female protagonists in this visual commentary accentuate the parity of their subtly distinctive roles. The two figures share lucid, graphic, and repeated elongated vertical elements with only few differences. For example, on the male figure, a beard extends the chin while the female figure wears a labret, an ornament in the lip. The female is distinguished as a nurturing mother by her full breasts. On the reverse side, the female figure carries a baby on her back, the male a quiver. She is responsible for childcare, he for providing sustenance. He has one hand on his genitals and the other protectively draped across her shoulders and resting on her breast. These gestures emphasize their mutual roles in procreation and nurturing. While man and woman are formally united in this representation, they are also articulated as discrete units. This work reflects Dogon attitudes toward gender roles as fundamentally complementary. Balanced duality is a central tenet of Dogon mythology.
The small, coarsely hewn figures at the base of the stool may represent the supportive role the ancestors play in the lives of the living. Their rough angularity contrasts with the elegance and stature of the elongated figures above. The high level of finish of the work as a whole — its smooth surfaces, intricate detailing in the face and hair, and lack of sacrificial material — suggests that this sculpture was not intended for an ancestral shrine, but rather was displayed at funerals. This interpretation is supported by the presence of iron ornamentation in the hair, ears, and on the wrists of the figures, since iron adornment is historically worn or placed next to the dead during Dogon funerals.
Gift of Lester Wunderman, 1977 (1977.394.15)
The Metropolitan Museum of Art‘s permanent collection contains more than two million works of art from around the world. It opened its doors on February 20, 1872, housed in a building located at 681 Fifth Avenue in New York City. Under their guidance of John Taylor Johnston and George Palmer Putnam, the Met’s holdings, initially consisting of a Roman stone sarcophagus and 174 mostly European paintings, quickly outgrew the available space. In 1873, occasioned by the Met’s purchase of the Cesnola Collection of Cypriot antiquities, the museum decamped from Fifth Avenue and took up residence at the Douglas Mansion on West 14th Street. However, these new accommodations were temporary; after negotiations with the city of New York, the Met acquired land on the east side of Central Park, where it built its permanent home, a red-brick Gothic Revival stone "mausoleum" designed by American architects Calvert Vaux and Jacob Wrey Mold. As of 2006, the Met measures almost a quarter mile long and occupies more than two million square feet, more than 20 times the size of the original 1880 building.
In 2007, the Metropolitan Museum of Art was ranked #17 on the AIA 150 America’s Favorite Architecture list.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1967. The interior was designated in 1977.
National Historic Register #86003556